Saturday, 23 February 2013

Attempt #1156

You know those people who constantly claim: "I could NEVER be a housewife! I need something more mentally stimulating to do with my life. I'd die. Seriously" ? Those who believe the idea of simply being a home-maker is tiresome, unbelievably dull - as though you've given up on your own life and have settled for a slow death involving snotty noses and The Wiggles?

I was one of those people.


I never wanted to spend my days reasoning with a miniature rage-monster. To be wiping bottoms and answering numerous ridiculous questions. To continuously maintain a neat and welcoming household,while keeping a husband organised, happy and well fed.

...pass, thank you.

And yet, here I am. In my early twenties. Married. One almost-four-year-old and another on the way. Completely settled down and half wondering how on earth that happened.  


However, that's just the start of it. Oh yes. Just the other day, I was sweeping the kitchen floor and was struck with the most ridiculous realisation of my life: 

I'm a housewife - and I love it.

I love my routine of housework. I love baking and preparing meals for the family. I love Playdoh and tea parties and quietly laughing at the nonsensical statements a toddler makes. I love the husband coming home to us, and spending the evenings together as a family.


I must have lost the plot entirely.


With identifying as a housewife, however, came another realisation: I was quite alone in that. I don't have any married friends my own age, nor do many of them have children. Not that it's a major issue, but from time to time, it feels a little isolating. I've also taken a break from social media recently as well. I found I wasn't enjoying the way I was using Twitter and Facebook, and wanted to make a few tweaks; focus more on life and relationships. As inspiring and uplifting as I've found the time offline, I've also found it isolating all over again.


Which, in a way, is why I'm here. I've been thinking of writing for a long time. So I figured, why not. I don't want to write because I think my life is of any great importance, or because I think I'm incredibly intelligent, or witty, or an amazing writer. And I'm definitely expert on anything in particular.
I simply wish to share, enjoy and connect with others.


So, welcome to my little bubble. 
If you were actually here, I'd make tea.

1 comment:

  1. Awesome read Jess, goodluck with every aspect of your life. You are doing a wonderful job and there is nothing more fulfilling than being a housewife and mother. Much love to you and your family xo

    ReplyDelete